Forthcoming



***

August 27, 2009

Monika Panayotova: If you want to be a politic, you need to be a slave of society

17/06/09

The “Old Dogs” in politics are well know, but we have all seen the flip side of the coin, says Monika Panayotova – Chairwoman of MGERB


Interview made by: Anna Kocheva


You are going up against “old dogs” in Sofia’s 24th majoritarian electoral region. Would you be able to win against the rival politicians who will most certainly relay on their reputation?

If the voters lay their trust on me I can succeed. It is true that these politicians are well known, but they have shown what they are capable of. I think we have all seen the flipside of the coin.
There are three things a political force needs in order to have the potential to govern over the country. It needs to have good experts, political will and it needs the support of the citizens. I believe that GERB is the only party that has all three of those elements and the other parties lack some of them. A political image can be made by a sensation or by achieved results. I have always proved so far what I can do through my work, action and results. I think this is the right way. It might be the slower way, but through it you can prove what you have achieved and not what you promised to achieve.

You are the Chairwoman of MGERB. People are expecting you to be young and energetic. Everyone is tired of boring talk and the same political messages, how will you prove that you are really different and full of energy?

This is true. The politicians need to be close to the citizens at all times. There can’t be a successive policy if it doesn’t include the citizens. That’s why me and my colleagues meet the citizens face to face and listen to their problems. I also have an internet page - http://monikapanayotova.blog.bg/. MGERB will also continue its initiative “Vote, so you can be heard”, through the European Elections and the National Elections. I just hope that there is enough media coverage, so more young people can understand why it is important to vote. Our campaign targets the voters who put thought to their vote, who vote for a good political program and for specific priorities. That’s why I think many people will give their votes for us and stand up against those that go against democracy.
When working with wonderful young people and personal from GERB, there is no way not to be positive and energetic. People can witness this if they take part in some of our initiatives

Internet campaign has become very popular before the elections. Politicians such as Sergey Stanishev, Ivan Kostov and Emil Koshlukov have created Facebook pages and communicate daily with voters. The net has become a parallel place for political PR. Is the Internet part of your campaign?

I have had a Facebook page long before the elections and I will continue to have it afterwards.

Imagine that you are not part of the campaign. You are just one young person. Who and what will motivate you to vote?

I think that we all need a new type of campaign which has specific priorities. PR is PR but when the cameras are turned of its time for action. Politic isn’t a show which is done only in front of cameras. As the majoritarian electoral candidate for Sofia’s 24th majoritarian electoral region I have two priorities.
We need to prove that Bulgaria can work for the young and works for the young. We need to invest in the development of our youth and update the Strategy for Youth 2007-2013. A National Council of the Youth needs to be created so there can be better dialogue.
We need to prove that Bulgaria is a guarantee of good quality. We also need to improve our foreign relations and earn more trust. We need to take advantage of the Lisbon Treaty and ensure that the interests of Bulgarian citizens are defended abroad. The Bulgarian societies abroad need to take part in the making of a law concerning “Green Cards”.

Are you concerned that you might need to make compromises if there is an inside conflict?

It is time for everyone who wants to be involved in politics to learn that this is a public sphere. The politician needs to be a slave of society. You are responsible to uphold the citizen’s best interest, because they trusted you with their votes. All other conceptions about politics are wrong. Such as the conception that politics are to make you popular and for personal gain and we can clearly see the results of those conceptions. My colleagues and I uphold the conception that politicians need to work for society and we are showing it in our work.

How do those closest to you react to your decision to “become part of the game”?

I have the most wonderful friends and family around me. They have always supported me in all of my decisions. For which I greatly thank all of them!

Do you have time for your private life?

Unfortunately I have very little time. However I meet with my friends and relatives at all times when I can. Most of the times I lose some hours of sleep, but I am very active and it is worth it.

Which was the last movie you have watched and when?

The last movie I watched was “About a Boy” with Hugh Grant. I watched it after the election for MEP’s.

What kind of music do you prefer?

I listen to French music. Sometimes I miss the finesse of French culture and diplomacy.

How do you like to relax?

I relax when I travel with friends, walk on the seaside. I really relax when there is sunshine and positive energy around me. I enjoy the company of cheerful people

What frustrates you?

I am frustrated by incorrect behavior and dishonest people.

What is the first thing you will do on the morning of the 6th of July?

I would be doing a presentation before the Council of Europe connected to the West Balkans. I am flying for Strasburg in the early morning, because there would be a school for politics. I think that was the answer you least expected (she is laughing). Of course there would be a lot of congratulations between me and my colleagues. I would thank everyone who took part. Campaign and politics are a team sport. The magic can’t be achieved if everyone doesn’t feel like he is an important peace of a puzzle.

No comments: